Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Language- like where is the love?


 When I walked into journalism class this past Monday, my teacher, Phyliss Boatwright, handed me an article to read out loud to the class. It was written by Celia Rivenbark. In the article, she writes of how today’s generation has lost all the love of language.
 When we write, the diction that was once present in our writing isn’t there anymore.
 As we started to discuss the article among ourselves, a realization came to me of how many times I use the word ‘like’ in my sentences. When I’m attempting to explain something, that word comes out of my mouth like an involuntary reflex. I don’t mean to use the word, and I find it annoying when others do. However, I have gotten used to it being a reliable word when I have nothing else to say. It rolls right off the tongue so quickly; you always end up catching yourself after you say it.
 The definition of ‘like’ has been so misconstrued to the point where many people don’t know when it is acceptable to use it in a sentence and when it is not.
 The journalism class took this as a personal challenge, we all vowed to not say ‘like’ for an entire class period. That, as you may have expected, did not go as planned. Within the first few minutes of getting the announcements together, I was the first one to say the word. I had trouble pronouncing the name of a poet, and I said, “Like, how would you pronounce that?”
 I was extremely disappointed with myself that I could not go one hour without saying the word. However, I took it as a small set back on my road to, like, recovery. 

*This my new Bullhorn article! I hope you all enjoy, and take time out of your day to practice not saying the forbidden word!*

No comments:

Post a Comment