Thursday, January 3, 2013

Innocent teens, one faulty mistake, tragic consequences


Two teenagers from Orange High School were killed in a car crash on Saturday, Dec. 29, late that evening.
 My first reaction was one of tears. I couldn’t think straight, let alone control any of the emotions I was feeling. I didn’t know the two victims. I didn’t know their stories, but I did know how their families and friends must have felt when they received the news of their deaths.
I realized that this could have been anybody. It could have been me, or one of my friends.
 Kids who were looking for fun on their Christmas break, but what they received was not what they had expected. Both of them meant something to this world.
They were siblings, children, best friends, and above all innocents teens who made one faulty mistake that took them from this earth forever.
This impacted my life because I realized that our lives are not always guaranteed, and that we shouldn’t take anything for granted. We were put on this earth and can be taken off within seconds.
What stood out most to me was that none of the four kids in the truck were wearing a seatbelt. A seatbelt could have saved their lives.
Driving a vehicle should never be taken lightly. Driving recklessly can cause you to put yourself and other people in the car with you in danger. If I have learned nothing else, this accident has caused me to be more cautious when getting into a vehicle with other people. Always wear your seatbelt, and never risk your life for a “good time”.


*This is my Bullhorn article dedicated to the two teenagers who died in a car crash over the Christmas break caused by reckless driving. Gone, but never forgotten.*

No comments:

Post a Comment