Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3: War Paint

My dad looked at me when I woke up this morning and said, "Well I guess you should go put on your war paint now." Of course, he didn't mean real war paint. That would be just awkward. The "paint" that he is referring to would be considered "make-up" in today's time. My dad hates the stuff. He always tells me I look better without it. Then again, I think he is speaking subjectively because I'm his little girl and he doesn't want me to grow up. Anyway, I thought about the connection between make-up and school. The only reason I wear make-up to school is because I think I need it, because it's the thing that makes me feel "protected". Kind of like armor when you are going into battle. School is your battle ground full of lies, rumors, fake people, "barbie" girls, lying guys, and those occasional good friends who you consider your "allies". In a way, school is just like a war, and you risk your self-esteem every day you walk in the front doors of the building. I have built a lot of self-confidence just so the lies, rumors, and fake friends don't break through my armor. If make-up is your war-paint, then your personality is your weapon. If you don't have a stand-out personality, naturally you're going to be the "first kill". I found this all to be quite interesting. How you can connect school with a war, make-up as your armor, and your personality as your weapon. Maybe that's why a lot of kids are seen as social outcasts, because we don't accept change in our war. We only accept winners, or people who fit the criteria. Ergo when someone who's our version of "different" comes along, we shut them out, not even giving them a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment